Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"I want a scary book!"



My librarian mentor, in the all-boys school where I started out, used to lament the fact that boys would not check out The Secret Garden.  "If only they would put a picture of a bloody hand on the cover..."  The problem still remains.  Let's face it: kids are influenced in their reading choices by the cover design. One of my favorite childrens' lit blogs, Scope Notes, has been publishing a series on Unfortunate Covers.  Another blog, Jacket Whys, is devoted entirely to book jackets. I'm wishing that the publishers would catch on and package an easy-to-read, scary-but-not-too-scary book with in a cover that could compete with any Goosebumps title, rather than one with wide-eyed little kids running away from cute little ghosts and goblins. 
Which book looks scarier?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets